Here's what you'll need (available at our Ben Franklin store):
• 1 Large Board (12”x 4.5”) & 3 Small Boards (4” x 4”) with binder rings
• 2oz. Bottle of Chalkboard Paint
• Foam Brush
• Mod Podge
• Ruler & Scissors
• Vinyl "Today's Chores"
• Scrapbook Paper of your choice.
Let's get started..
1. Remove the rings and smaller pieces from the larger board. Paint just the edge of the larger piece of wood with chalkboard paint. Cover the entire surface of the three smaller pieces of wood with the chalkboard paint also. Allow to dry and add one more coat of paint to the three smaller pieces of wood.
2. Trace the big board on your paper. Cut a little smaller than what you have traced - this will allow the board background to show around the paper and make a nice border. Use the Mod Podge to glue your paper to the wood. Apply the Mod Podge to the paper first - this will start conditioning the paper. Then apply to the wood. Place the paper onto the wood - you have some time to move it exactly where you want it before it dries. Set aside and allow to dry completely. If it still feels cold when you touch the paper, that means it's still wet.
3. Once it's dry, add your vinyl to the larger piece of wood. (See how to install vinyl HERE). Now brush a coat of Mod Podge to the big board to seal it. One coat is plenty. Note - Do not seal the three smaller chalkboard pieces. The chalk will not work if you seal these.
4. Be sure to season your chalkboard before writing on it with your chalk. Take a piece of chalk (use its side rather than the tip) and rub the entire surface vertically ensuring the board is covered. Using the side of your chalk, now rub the entire surface horizontally making sure the entire board is covered. Wipe with a soft rag, cloth or chalkboard brush and blow off any excess chalk dust. Now it's ready to be used.
5. Now that everything is dry, attach all wood pieces with the binder rings, write down today’s chores with your chalk and display.
For crafting tutorials and inspirations, visit our Website HERE.
Ben Franklin Crafts and Frame Shop, Monroe, WA
19505 Hwy 2, Monroe, WA 98272