Here's what you'll need to make this gift:
• Vinyl Saying from Ben Franklin Crafts and Frame Shop (Monroe,WA)
• Decorative Flower, of your choice
• Stickles Glitter Glue
• 1 — 12 In. x 12 In. Scrapbook Paper
• Acrylic Paint — we used Tangerine and Apple Green
• Crackle Medium
• Mosaic Tiles
• Mosaic Tile Adhesive
• Mosaic Grout
• Small Bowl — for water
• Sponge & Rag
• Foam Brush
• Mod Podge
• Chip Board — 12 In. x 12 In.
• Fast Grab Tacky Glue
• Small Trowel — for spreading the grout
Let's get started...
1. Paint the frame with (1) of the colors of acrylic paint. (The bottom color acts as an accent and will not be as prominent). Note: You don’t need to paint the center of the frame, because paper will be covering this area. Cover only approximately ¼ of an inch into the center so the paper can overlap it.
2. Apply an even thick coat of crackle medium over your first coat of acrylic paint. Let dry until tacky, NOT COMPLETELY DRY. (Approximately 15 to 20 minutes).
3. Apply your second color of acrylic paint over your crackle medium. You should start seeing it crackle in about 5 minutes. Let dry.
4. Adhere your sheet of scrapbook paper to the center of your frame using
Mod Podge as your glue. Let dry. Seal coat the paper with another coat of Mod Podge. Let dry.
5. Arrange your mosaic tiles in a design that you like around the inside edge of your frame. Keeping in mind that the tiles need approximately a ⅛ In. or slightly smaller gap for the grout. Once you are sure of your tile design, start adhering the mosaic tiles to the frame with a small dot of mosaic tile adhesive. Let dry overnight.
6. Place a piece of 12 In. x 12 In. chipboard over your scrapbook paper. (This is to protect it from the grout and water). Mix your grout extremely well. With small amounts of grout, spread evenly between all your tiles. When complete, trowel the edges flat and smooth.
7. Clean the tiles and any drips with a wet well squeezed out sponge. Continue to wipe and clean until the tiles are shiny. Note: You might need to change out your water a few times. This takes a little time to clean up!
8. Adhere your vinyl saying to the center of the frame. If you are coordinating a flower, use some Stickles Glitter Glue to accent it. Adhere your flower to the center top of your frame with fast grab tacky glue.
For more DIY crafting tutorials, visit our Project Gallery HERE.
Ben Franklin Crafts and Frame Shop, Monroe, WA
19505 Hwy 2, Monroe, WA 98272